The Re Fashion Wardrobe - Portia Lawrie
Sew a sustainable capsule wardrobe that is tailored to you - and with it, help break the cycle of throw-away fashion. The fashion industry is the second biggest environmental polluter on the planet. Every year, over 350,000 tonnes of clothing is sent to landfill in the UK - just under 14 million tonnes in the US - much of it owing to fast fashion. Furthermore, it's estimated that many of us wear only 20% of our wardrobe regularly, with the other 80% languishing in our wardrobes unworn, or worse - contributing to those ever-growing landfill figures. We urgently need to find alternative, more sustainable approaches that allow us to have the stylish wardrobes we crave without hurting our planet. The techniques you learn in The Re:Fashion Wardrobe is one of those alternatives. Learn how to alter or create entirely new garments from pre-loved clothes or forgotten fabrics that are not only chic but don't cost the earth. Beginning with advice on equipment, fabrics and how to source your clothes for refashioning, Portia Lawrie will then take you step-by-step through a collection of 11 garments that she has reworked, showing you just how easy it is to refresh or drastically change any piece of clothing you come across. Every garment in the collection can be used to create a modern capsule wardrobe that you can wear throughout the year, and Portia has included advice on how to adjust the garments in the book to make versions suitable for different times of the year. Useful sewing techniques with clear illustrations are included at the back of the book for you to dip into whenever you need them - from measuring and fitting through to garment deconstruction and construction. This is not the "Becky home eccy" refashioning of old, or simply make-do-and-mend either. This is showing that with some time, basic sewing techniques and a dash of creative vision, a wardrobe you've made entirely from recycled garments and textiles can be as stylish, edgy and aspirational as anything the high street has to offer.